Tel:01945 464455

recycle logo on button

How to Comply:

Waste regulations have changed considerably in the last decade and most waste is processed for recovery with only a fraction being sent to landfill. There are various different types of waste- Packaging, Batteries and accumulators, WEEE, farm waste, construction waste, household waste etc. Each type of waste is treated at a different type of facility. Our specialism is WEEE and we have a bespoke licence to accept this type of waste at our facility.

hazardous waste in barrel

Hazardous Waste Electrical/ Electronic Equipment:

Hazardous goods (with corresponding EWC/ list of Waste codes) consist of the following:

  • Computer screens (monitors both CRT and TFT) (20 01 35*)
  • Flatbed scanners (20 01 35*)
  • Batteries, Laptop Batteries (unsorted: 20 01 33*)
  • Uninterruptible Power supplies (Lead-acid batteries) (20 01 35*)
  • Very old computers (with large electrolytic capacitors and PCBs- Polychlorinated biphenyls) (20 01 35*)
  • fridges and freezers (20 01 23*)
  • Fluorescent Tubes (20 01 21*)

If you've got more than 500kgs of hazardous waste or regularly discard hazardous waste , you need to register with the Environment Agency as a hazardous waste producer. This will give you a license to produce hazardous waste- it's also known as a "premises code".

consigning your waste

Consigning (getting rid of ) your Waste:

When you consign your waste, you must fulfill your Duty of Care. To do this, you are required to check that a waste carrier is legally permitted to take your waste away. You also have a duty to ensure that it is sent to a facility that is permitted to accept it. This means background checks, ensuring that licenses are correct and up-to-date. For reference, details of our licenses are available on the front page of this web site (link here)

duty of care

Basics of the Duty of Care:

  • The driver or operator of the collection vehicle must have a waste carrier licence.
  • For the processing of WEEE, it is typical for the Waste carrier to also be the operator of a recycling facility. A licence for the processing of waste electrical/ electronic equipment is required.
  • You must receive a Duty of Care notice (Controlled Waste transfer note).
  • You must receive a Hazardous Waste consignment notice for Hazardous Wastes. This must have a detailed description of the waste being consigned, the address it is being taken to, where it was collected from, your company's SIC (2009) code and must be signed by both the person collecting it and yourself. The date and time of the transfer must also be recorded on the sheet.


After the consignment:

It's important to ensure that your wastes have been consigned correctly. A requisite to many environmental standards is the trace ability of your wastes. Make sure you keep copies- the Duty of Care must be kept for two years and the Hazardous Waste transfer note for 3 years.

The final Step:

You've consigned your waste and think the job's all done but you may not have discharged your duty of care completely. The person who took any hazardous wastes away is required to "consign" or notify the Environment Agency that they have been removed. This means that they must notify the Environment Agency in a quarterly report which includes the premises code belonging to you, at a cost of £10.00 per consignment. Once this is done, and you have received written notification to this effect, you can consider your "Duty of Care" fulfilled. line

Environmental Regulations:

If you need to register as a hazardous waste producer, you can do so with the Environment Agency here.